Saturday, July 25, 2009

The one with the walker and life...

So this last week has been a little drab, uneventful and that's what I needed after the last two weeks. But I do have some funny stories as always... let's see I'll start with Sunday night the fam, my Dad, my Mom and I all go every Sunday night to Grandma's house in La Jolla. We love it, once a week just hanging out, chatting, drinking tea and eating animal crackers while Dad watches 60 Minutes. One thing missing is Amy, but we talk about her enough it's like she's there. Well this last Sunday, as always Grandma orders food from the kitchen downstairs. She always has way too much food, never room in the fridge, I don't eat anything because I'm a "picky eater", but Mom and Dad do but they certainly don't go for the food. It's just Grandma is just such a hostess at heart she doesn't know how do to anything else. So anyway the kitchen was short staffed, so I jokingly asked if she wanted me to go down and help in the kitchen, I was caught off guard when she said "yes, that would be lovely". What she meant was she needed me to go down and pick up the trays of food. I laughed then said "I'd be happy to". She called informed them her beautiful granddaughter (she's so good for my self esteem) would be right down. She was told there was 2 trays, and I might need help. I said don't worry Grandma I got this, I shouted to Mom "Hey, wanna come help me"? She just looked at me, until Grandma offered her walker. You know the one old folks use to get around that have a seat and baskets pretty fancy stuff. Well this peaked Mom's interest, I laughed hysterically because me pushing a walker in an old folks home is just funny. I politely declined the walker, dragged Mom to help me with ALL the food for just 3 people mind you. Down the elevator we went, giggling about "the walker", I kindly told Mom that at some point I would be responsible for picking out her very own walker:) She told me to stop making her laugh, as it causes her to cross her legs in order to prevent "an accident". Depends anyone?:) We get to the dining room, to find 2 itty bitty bags of food... 2 ITTY BITTY BAGS of food. I could have picked it up ALL this food in the dark, one handed, backwards in my sleep. Oh Grandma... she's a funny wonderful over prepared worrisome lady whom I absolutely adore. I love our Sunday nights with her, my family means everything to me and gets me ready for the week ahead. I wish everyone could know my Grandma she truly is the light of our world, the stories she tells, the way she falls asleep in the middle of stories and dinner, the way she talks about my Grandpa who she loved with all her heart, her need to make sure her family has everything before she does. Over the years she's let me learn from her, I now make sure she has what the family and she needs. She's passed the hostess with the mostess torch on to me and I love her for it.

After the surprise run in from last week...I took a mental health day and gathered all my strength to face the past, it's amazing what the waves and sand at Coronado can do for your spirit. I let myself make peace, fondly remember the past that I blocked out a year and a half ago, I will not be scared, I will not be sad, I will remember my past, I will lovingly and gently put it in my present to become the person I want to be. I will always think of my friend, I miss her all the time, so many things everyday remind me of how much I love her. I hope to honor my promise to her someday... I was told by someone amazing that you can never say never. For now my socks are on:) I don't know what my future holds, but for the first time in a long time my hope and faith have been restored.

The rest of the week was just OK, I went to Jazz... I am no longer human I'm a dancer. I love it. I got checked out twice by 2 different very east county big truck john deer sticker toting guys. At this point I'll take what I can get. Also saw two police men... two very good looking east county police men. I might change my opinion of east county.... naw not likely:) Edward Cullen came to town, he didn't call but I understand he was busy. My dishwasher didn't leak, and the a/c has been working like a trooper. I didn't have any bugs to kill with 409 or Readers Digest. I started reading a book, "The Hello Girl" it's a good read. Next I'm starting "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", Oprah selected it. So it must be good. There is nothing good on TV, nothing... good thing I like to read.

That's all for this time kids, next week should be more lighthearted...
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy...

4 comments:

  1. I've totally had the whole "Walker" incident with my Gramby!!! And HAD TO USE IT!!!!!!!! Elly thinks it's great fun to ride on...makes my Gramby's day! Whatever does the trick for the old folks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blog fabulously! :)

    Darn that Edward Cullen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol MAN! Edward Cullen didn't call me either, I guess next time we'll actually have to go and stalk him and convince him that he's really missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now that I am back in the good ol US of A and have internet again I can read and laugh out loud and try not to pee my pant ( depends- or just a panty liner - I think I'll start there! ) I'm so glad you are doing this - I LOVE IT!
    Tash

    ReplyDelete